Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Mini Lesson on Direct and Indirect Objects

A direct object is the receiver of the action of the verb. It answers the question “What” (What do you want, read, speak, etc.? I want him, I read books, I speak Spanish)

An indirect object is the person to or from whom the action is done. It answers the question “To whom” or “For whom” (Whom does she give gifts to? She gives gifts to you, him, and her.)

The direct object pronouns:

me, te, nos, lo, la, los, and las

depending on the gender and number of the object under consideration.

Indirect objects require the use of the same pronouns as with direct objects but also include “le” and “les,” which are used for the third person. Unlike English, both direct and indirect object pronouns are placed before the verb. They can also be connected to the end of the infinitive, as in “puedo leerlo,” but this is a little less common. The pronouns are also placed at the end of commands, as in “¡Dámelo!”

In the phrase, “Lo miro,” lo is the direct object. What do you look at?: I look at it.

Mi hermana me dan regalos. Me” is the indirect object. Whom does she give gifts to?: To me.

Test your direct and indirect object skills in our quiz!

No comments: